I recently (Aug. 2017) published this piece, ‘’, that looked at African and Africa-focused startups that raised $500K and above during H1 2017 (+ July).
Relevant to this question, one theme that emerged was that a handful of investors are betting big on African startups in 2017.
Asmentions, Silicon Valley’s is quite active in Africa. New York’s is as well. As are Silicon Valley’s , , & , as well as San Francisco’s and Kenya’s .
My excerpted list of African/African-focused startups raising significant capital from Jan-July is below, but to put things in better perspective, I’d suggest reading thein its entirety on .
- , an online education platform & operator of higher education learning centers, raised $12 million from Kenya’s , New York’s , and UK development-finance institution, .
- Kenya’s , a B2B m-commerce platform, raised a $10.3 million Series A round led by Dubai’s .
- , an API-driven fintech platform, raised a $10+ million Series A round co-led by New York’s and San Francisco’s , with Silicon Valley’s also participating.
- Nigeria’s , an online marketplace for used cars, raised a $5 million Series A round from Berlin’s (a holding company backed by London’s , London’s , Lagos’s , and Silicon Valley’s .)
- Kenya’s , a renewable energy provider, raised a $4.5 million Series A round led by Dutch family office, with Kenya’s
- Morocco’s , a cross-border B2B e-commerce platform, raised ~$3 million from Silicon Valley’s , Waltham’s , Silicon Valley’s , New York’s , Palo Alto’s , New York’s , San Francisco’s , and others.
- Kenyan-headquartered , a virtual currency payment platform, raised a $2.5 million Series A round led by Silicon Valley’s , with participation from New York’s and others.
- South Africa’s , a hearing-focused digital health firm, raised a $2.8+ million seed round, including $500k in grants.
- Nigeria’s , a high-speed wireless internet provider, raised $2.1 million from California-based venture-debt firm, , Silicon Valley’s , Dubai’s , San Francisco’s and others.
- Kenya’s Alternative Circle, the fintech-focused parent company of mobile micro-loan app, , raised a $1.1 million strategic investment from Iceland-based credit risk management company, , related to data generated.
- Kenya’s , a mobile-driven data collection startup, raised a $1.1 million seed round from Silicon Valley’s , Colorado’s , San Francisco’s , and others.
- Ghana’s , a viral media company, raised a $1.1 million seed round from San Francisco’s , Silicon Valley’s & , and others.
- South Africa’s , a data analytics company leveraging drones, raised a $600,000+ seed round from Kenya’s and South Africa’s .
- Kenya’s , a restaurant discovery media platform, raised a $500,000 strategic investment from fintech firm, , related to the platform’s payments technology.
- Uganda’s , a provider of cloud-based finance software for non-bank financial institutions, raised $500,000 from Canadian investor, .
To get the full context, have a look at thein its entirety on